EEA Registration Certificate

EEA Registration Certificate

If you are a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and wish to prove that you have the right to live and work in the UK, then you may be eligible to apply for an EEA Registration Certificate.

There is no legal requirement to obtain a Registration Certificate in order to live and work in the UK because the right of residence exists as a matter of European Union law.  However, a Registration Certificate acts as confirmation of your right of residence in the UK and this may make it easier to obtain various services.  A Registration Certificate can also be used to support a family member’s application for an EEA Family Permit or EEA Residence Card.

Requirements for an EEA Registration Certificate: Right of Residence in the UK

In order to qualify for an EEA Registration Certificate, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  1. You are a citizen of an EEA country (this includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and, for immigration purposes, Switzerland);
  2. You are working (either in employment or as a self-employed person), studying or are able to support yourself financially and have comprehensive sickness cover.

Once approved, you will be issued with a Registration Certificate. This will take the form of either an endorsement in your passport or be contained in a free-standing document.  Your Registration Certificate will be valid for five years, after which you may be eligible to apply for a document certifying permanent residence in the UK.

Application Form

More Applications