If you are a Commonwealth citizen and have a grandparent born in the UK, you may be able to live and work in the UK on the basis of your UK Ancestry. You can be accompanied or joined by your dependent family members.
- Initial Applications
In order to qualify for leave to enter the United Kingdom on the basis of having UK Ancestry you will need to demonstrate that:
- You are a Commonwealth citizen; and
- You are aged 17 or over; and
- You are able to provide proof that one of your grandparents was born:
- in the United Kingdom; or
- the Channel Islands; or
- the Isle of Man; or
- on a British-registered ship or aircraft; or
- in the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922; and
- Any such grandparent is your blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption; and
- You are able to work and intend to take or seek employment or self-employment in the United Kingdom; and
- You will be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.
If your application is successful you will be granted leave to enter the UK for a period of up to 5 years.
- Settlement Applications
In order to quality for indefinite leave to remain in the UK on grounds of United Kingdom Ancestry you will need to demonstrate that:
- You have spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the United Kingdom with a UK Ancestry Visa; and
- You meet the requirements set out above (including being employed, self-employed or seeking employment at the date of application and throughout most of the five years); and
- You have not been absent from the UK for more than 180 days in any of the five consecutive 12 calendar month periods preceding the date of application; and
- You can provide specified documents to evidence any absence that was for a serious or compelling reason; and
- You have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the UK.
The UK Ancestry visa is a route available to Commonwealth citizens who want to move to the UK, alone or with their family. The application has to be made from your home country.
The UK Ancestry visa is specifically for people who want to work in the UK. You are free to take any employment you like, or to set up your own business, without needing any further permission from the Home Office.
You must be at least 17 years old when you apply for this visa.
You will be eligible to apply for settlement once you have lived in the UK on this visa for five years.
- Eligibility and Maintenance
You need to have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Birth in the Republic of Ireland is also acceptable, as long as it was before 1922.
This must either be your grandparent by blood, or because of adoption. The adoption must be one that is recognised as legal in the UK.
Maintenance and Accommodation
You will not be eligible for any public funds and must be able to maintain and accommodate yourself and your family from your own resources.