Tier 5: Youth Mobility
If you are aged between 18 and 30 and a citizen of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea or Taiwan then you may be eligible to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS).
You can also apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa if you are 18 to 30 and a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas). Family members cannot accompany you as your dependent(s), but must instead apply separately.
Requirements for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa
In order to qualify for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:
- You are aged between 18 and 30;
- You are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas);
- You satisfy a maintenance funds requirement;
- You do not have any children under 18 who live with you or for whom you are financially responsible; and
- You have not previously been in the UK under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme or in the former ‘Working Holidaymaker’ category.
If you are a citizen of Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan, you will need to be sponsored by an employer in the UK and obtain a certificate of sponsorship reference number before you apply. Citizens of other listed countries are sponsored by their government or authority.
If your application for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa is successful then you will be free to work (except as a professional sportsperson or doctor or dentist in training) and engage in privately funded studies during your stay in the United Kingdom. You will also be able to be self-employed and set up a company, provided that your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees. Youth Mobility Scheme temporary migrants may also undertake voluntary work and au pair placements as and when they wish.
Proof of Validity
If you are granted leave as a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Temporary Migrant, then you can stay in the UK for a period of 24 months. You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay. However, it will not be possible to obtain an extension of your Youth Mobility Scheme stay.