EEA Family Permit

EEA Family Permit

If you are a non-EEA national living outside the European Union and you would like to travel to the UK with your EEA national family member, or join your EEA national family member in the UK, then you may be eligible for an EEA Family Permit.

An EEA Family Permit is similar to the issue of an entry clearance visa for the UK in that it will enable you to enter the UK as the family member of an EEA national.  There is no fee payable to the Home Office for an EEA Family Permit application and the application will be given priority by UK Visas and Immigration.

Requirements for an EEA Family Permit: initial right of residence in the UK In order to qualify for an EEA Family Permit you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are a national of a country that is outside the European Economic Area (EEA);
  • Your family member is an EEA national (but not British);
  • You are related to an EEA national in one of the following ways:
    • You are the family member of an EEA national such as the husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild;  or
    • You are an extended family member of an EEA national, for example an unmarried partner in a durable relationship, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.; or
    • You are the main carer of a British citizen or a child who is an EEA national;
  • Your EEA national family member is travelling with you to the UK; or
  • Your EEA national family member is in the UK and, if they have lived in the UK for more than three months, is exercising Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person or as a jobseeker.

Period of Validity

An EEA Family Permit is valid for six months and will allow you to leave and re-enter the UK as many times as you wish within the six month validity period.

Application Form

More Applications