EEA Document Certifying Permanent Residence

EEA Document Certifying Permanent Residence

If you are a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country who has lived in the UK for five years, during which time you have been working, studying or supporting yourself financially, then you may be eligible to apply for a Document Certifying Permanent Residence to confirm that you are entitled to stay in the UK indefinitely.


In order to qualify for an EEA Document Certifying Permanent Residence you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are a citizen of an EEA country (this includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and, for immigration purposes, Switzerland);
  • You have lived in the UK continuously for five years and have not been absent from the UK for more than six months in any one year;
  • You have exercised Treaty rights in the UK throughout the five-year period either as an employee, self-employed person, student, self-sufficient person or as a job seeker.

Period of Validity

Once your application has been approved, you will be issued with a Document Certifying Permanent Residence. This will usually take the form of an endorsement in your passport or be contained in a free-standing document. Your Document Certifying Permanent Residence will be valid for a period of ten years, after which it will need to be renewed (unless you have been granted British citizenship by naturalisation in the interim).

Application Form

More Applications